Contact Registers and Covid Safe Business Practices. What does this mean for your business?
Within the seven months of no contagious community transition in WA, we have been able to move reasonably free around our town and settle into a sequence of service without the threat of the virus. However, with the borders opening soon, this means it’s time for you and your staff to refresh and become vigilant about the current Covid restrictions that apply to your business.
- From 5 December, particular WA venues and businesses will be required to maintain mandatory contact registers to support COVID-19 contact tracing. These records will ONLY be used for the purpose of contact tracing, should it be required, and will only be kept for 28 days. Businesses or venues required to keep a contact register include:
- The 1 person per 2sqm rule is still enforceable and the the maximum penalty for this offence is imprisonment for 12 months or a fine of $50,00 and a fine of $5000 for each separate and further offence. If the offence is committed by a company, the maximum fine is increased to $250,000. An on-the-spot fine of $1000 may be issued (or $5000 for a company), instead of being prosecuted.
- Businesses should ensure their COVID Safety Plans are updated and continue to be implemented, using the COVID Safety Guidelines. See here for industry specific Covid Safety Plans
- Provide hand sanitiser at your premises and encourage staff and patrons to use it. Signs next to the gel stating ‘Please use sanitiser before entering’, promote more use.
- Physical distancing in public is still necessary and we are being urged to re implement this if we have become a bit lax. Placing markers on the floor is a good way to remind customers of this.
– Keep 1.5 metres away from others wherever possible
– Avoid physical greetings such as handshaking, hugs and kisses
– Practise extra care if you are using public transport
– Avoid crowds – if you see a crowded space do not enter
– Practise good hygiene
– Stay at home if you have any cold or flu symptoms.
– Seek medical advice and get tested for COVID-19
- Putting a sign on your door is a great way to help manage these regulations. State how many people are allowed in your business at a time per the 1 person per 2sqm rule, that your business is practicing social distancing and that your workplace is compliant with their Covid Safety Plan.